National Day of Reason
We plan an annual event to commemorate the National Day of Reason, which honors the principles of secular lawmaking and separation of religion and government. We observe this day to remind Minnesota lawmakers that public policy should be based on reason, science, and evidence to promote the general welfare. We affirm that government should not favor one religion over another or the religious over the nonreligious, as mandated by the Constitution.
National Day of Reason 2020
The 2020 event was held online due to COVID-19. Keynote speakers were Sarah Gillooly and Dena Sher of Americans United for Separation of Church and State. Representatives of local humanist and advocacy groups also spoke and Minnesota legislators recorded videos supporting the Day of Reason. See the video of the event below, followed by the agenda.
NATIONAL DAY OF REASON 2020 ONLINE GATHERING
May 7, 2020
Welcome and Explanation of Format
- Suzanne Perry, vice president, HumanistsMN
Remarks from the Three Sponsoring Humanist Organizations
- Harlan Garbell, president, HumanistsMN
- Rev. Kelli Clement, assistant minister, First Unitarian Society of Minneapolis
- Richard Logan, outreach coordinator, Or Emet – Minnesota Congregation for Humanistic Judaism
Video Montage, Minnesota Legislators in Support of Reason
- Teresa Nelson, legal director, ACLU of Minnesota
- Rebecca Thoman, campaign manager, Doctors for Dignity, Compassion & Choices
- Jesus Lucero, greater MN and faith coordinator, OutFront Minnesota
- Yuval Hartford, co-field team manager, UnRestrict Minnesota
- Theresa Bulander, board member, Camp Quest North
Representatives of Americans United for Separation of Church and State
- Sarah Gillooly, vice president, state outreach and engagement: “The Coronavirus and Church-State Separation”
- Dena Sher, assistant vice president of public policy, “Religious Influence on Government in the Trump Era”
Discussion and Q and A
Post-Event Call to Action. Please contact your state and Congressional representatives to ask them to act on what you heard today. You can find contact information here.
NATIONAL DAY OF REASON 2019 AT THE MINNESOTA STATE CAPITOL