New Member Spotlight: Alfred (Alfy) Wolfram

Joined HumanistsMN: November 2020

Profession/Residence: I began my professional career as a teacher of American history, speech, and theater in high school.  After a decade, with a wife and new baby to support, I decided to go into business.  I spent 23 years in insurance and investments.  However, all the while I only wanted to realize my desire and need to be an actor.

Finally, over a 10-year period, I made the transition to professional acting.I eventually found my calling writing, producing, and performing one-man shows which I toured throughout the U.S. and Great Britain for 20 years.  All were historically based.

I was especially known for a show entitled “The Shakespeare Man,” which dealt with the life and times of William Shakespeare, giving almost 700 performances.  I was also a featured act at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival for 15 years. I live in North St. Paul.

How he found us: I actually discovered HumanistsMN by accident on the Internet.  While I am not much of one to join groups, the overall concept and viewpoints expressed appealed to me.

His journey to humanism: Raised a Lutheran, by adulthood I realized this was not what was in my heart.  Wanting to give our three children a spiritual base, my wife and I raised them in a Quaker Meeting.  However, over time I realized I had more questions than answers, thus becoming an agnostic in the truest sense of the word.  Even before I discovered HumanistsMN, I was introduced to  “The Affirmation of Humanism: A Statement of Principles.” This was the first affirmation of a belief I felt I could honestly say I believed in and could accept as mine.  That is about it.  Nothing dramatic — no startling revelations into the essence of the universe.  Just a lifelong journey which is far from over.

Share...

6 comments

Skip to comment form

• Marcy Woodruff on December 8, 2020 at 5:40 pm

Welcome, Alfy! Hope to meet you in person in the near future!

• Christine E Retkwa on December 8, 2020 at 10:27 pm

Welcome, Alfy! You indeed sound like a humanist – in your thought-full, inquiring approach. I hope you find friends and activities you enjoy within this group.

• meline Juarez on December 22, 2020 at 11:25 am

Welcome, Ally! I’m sure you will find many “like-minded” folks in this wonderful group. Can’t wait to meet you in person and possibly have you perform for us in the future!

• Alfred Wolfram on January 7, 2021 at 2:36 am

Thank you so very much for those kind words. For most of my life I have not been very much of a joiner of organizations. The reality is I could not find any I felt fit me and who I was. To parapharse Thoreau, I guess I merely felt compelled to march to the beat of my own drummer. I truly feel privilaged to be associated with individuals who espouse the beliefs and values of a humanist. I am looking forward to the end of the Covid madness so I can meet many of you in person. Peace.

• Paul Hardt on November 27, 2022 at 5:36 pm

Alfy, great to “see” you again. I’ve been curious about what you’ve been up to. Please contact me…I’d like to learn more about HumanistsMN. 651-529-4071.

Paul Hardt

• Bill Conway on June 3, 2024 at 5:31 pm

Hey Alfie, Bill (I will not “budge”) Conway. Am doing well, I hope you are too. We had some great times at Winona State playing 500 and in The Crucible. Sounds like you’ve done well and enjoyed life, as have I. Sandra and I live in Vadnais Heights so I’m not too far from North St. Paul. Let me know if you want to get together for coffee and reminisce.

Regards,